KPI’s achieved, ROI exceeded, goals met, now what? Your marketing efforts have been fueled by the momentum to reach targets and elevate your business. But now, you hit a plateau, comfortable in your “marketing routine,” and continue to stay the course on the flat ground on which your business treks. This is the most dangerous time in any business – when your marketing becomes boring.
Your brand, having just achieved phenomenal results, now is at risk of becoming stale or obsolete if it doesn’t consistently innovate and try new things. Competitors can encroach on your customers or territory while you are busy in your “routine” on this precarious plateau. So, how do you keep your marketing fresh and innovative?
The answer: before you hit the proverbial plateau, take a step back, re-prioritize, re-strategize, and re-energize. Here are a few tips to keep in mind during this exercise:
- Don’t be afraid of disruptive innovation. It’s a new way of doing things, that maybe even your customers don’t know they want yet – but it’s worth a try, and has been proven to be one of the top catalysts for innovation in the market.
- Measure, and measure often. It’s one thing to get the marketing campaign up and running, but it’s important to keep an eye on metrics so you know you have reached your goals, so you can adjust and evolve your marketing to achieve bigger and better things.
- Change your environment. Creativity isn’t always harnessed in your cubical. Hold team meetings outside in the fresh air, in a new place – somewhere different where you can get out of your normal routine and open your mind to new ideas.
- Scrap old habits in favor of new ones. How will you know what you can achieve if you don’t try.
- It’s ok start over. If something doesn’t work, move on, and try something else.